Blurb, facts, logos, etc.
Coral Capital is a seed-stage venture capital firm founded by James Riney & Yohei Sawayama. It is the successor to the first fund launched in Japan by 500 Startups, a Silicon Valley based firm and one of the most active investors in the world. With about $100m under management, the partners have invested in over 40 companies including SmartHR, KAKEHASHI, Holmes, Graffer, and Pocket Concierge (acquired by American Express). In addition to capital, they provide a full-service approach to investing that includes fundraising support, in-house recruiting, public relations, and one of the most engaged founder communities in Japan. Through this platform and their global network, they strive to help smart people build the legendary companies of tomorrow.
- James Riney and Yohei Sawayama closed their first fund in partnership with 500 Startups in February 2016. They closed their second fund in February 2019 under their own brand, Coral Capital.
- Investors include Mizuho Bank, Mitsubishi Estate, Shinsei Bank, J-Power, and undisclosed institutional investors in Japan and the US.
- The partners have about $100m under management.
- The partners have invested in over 40 companies.
- We typically invests $500K on first investments, and up to $2m on follow-on investment.
- In April 2016, the partners launched the J-KISS, a financing instrument that has quickly become the standard template for seed-stage companies in Japan.