Welcome to another episode of The Coral Capital Podcast, a show about startups, technology, and venture capital with a focus on Japan and Asia.
In this episode, we chat with Mark Suster, a Partner at Upfront Ventures. Upfront is one of LA’s most prominent venture capital firms, renowned for backing companies like Ring, GOAT, Overture, and even Starbucks back in the day. Mark was previously the founder & CEO of two successful enterprise software companies, the most recent of which was sold to Salesforce.com. Prior to being a founder, Mark was a software developer at Accenture where he lived and worked in Europe, Japan and the U.S.
In this episode we discuss:
- How Japanese startups can win globally
- Uncovering the truth about unicorn companies
- Top VC firms reducing the size of their funds
- 50% of seed funds disappearing
- Advice for startups considering fundraising
- Love decay – how entrepreneurs and investors can nurture “love”